Hal:
> My tentative opinion is that it does make sense to ascribe Platonic
> existence to such things but I am interested to hear other people's
> thoughts.

It is, perhaps, interesting, that 'time', for Plato,
is 'moving according to number'. That is to say ...
equations, if I understand it correctly.
s.

'Now the nature of the ideal being was everlasting,
but to bestow this attribute in its fulness
upon a creature was impossible. Wherefore he resolved
to have a moving image of eternity, and when he set
in order the heaven, he made this image eternal
but moving according to number, while eternity
itself rests in unity; and this image we call time.'
-Plato
http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/physis/plato-timaeus/time.asp