daddycaylor wrote:

John Ross wrote:

Neutrinos and Gravity

[0010] Neutrinos are very high-energy photons. Each neutrino
comprises a
high-energy, high frequency entron. Neutrinos, like other photons,
travel in substantially straight lines at the speed of light with its
entron circling within the photon in circles having a diameter of
.lambda./2 where .lambda. is the neutrino's wavelength. Most neutrinos
illuminating the earth pass right through it. Neutrinos can pass right
through the nuclei of atoms and even protons. Gravity results from the
Coulomb force fields emanating from neutrinos as the neutrinos pass at
the speed of light through matter. These Coulomb force fields travel
rearward and sideways along the trail of neutrinos. The sideways
components cancel, but the rearward components add pushing the matter
through which they are passing back toward the source of the
neutrinos.
Thus, neutrinos from the sun passing through the earth (about
100,000,000 per square centimeter per second) provide the "gravity"
holding the earth in its orbit around the sun. Neutrinos from the
black
hole in the center of the Milky Way hold all the stars of the Milky
Way
(including our sun) and us in our positions in our galaxy. Neutrinos
captured in the earth and later released provide the earth its
gravity.

Does this imply that an "anti-gravity" vehicle could be built if we could somehow build a neutrino shield and put it under the vehicle?

Tom

This idea looks like it's pretty similar to LeSage's "pushing gravity" theory--there's an article on it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeSage_gravity which points out fatal flaws in the the idea. It's also discussed in the second chapter of Richard Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law", I'll quote the relevant section here:

On the other hand, take Newton's law for gravitation, which has the aspects I discussed last time. I gave you the equation:

F=Gmm'/r^2

just to impress you with the speed with which mathematical symbols can convey information. I said that the force was proportional to the product of the masses of two objects, and inversely as the square of the distance between them, and also that bodies react to forces by changing their speeds, or changing their motions, in the direction of the force by amounts proportional to the force and inversely proportional to their masses. Those are words all right, and I did not necessarily have to write the equation. Nevertheless it is kind of mathematical, and we wonder how this can be a fundamental law. What does the planet do? Does it look at the sun, see how far away it is, and decide to calculate on its internal adding machine the inverse of the square of the distance, which tells it how much to move? This is certainly no explanation of the machinery of gravitation! You might want to look further, and various people have tried to look further. Newton was originally asked about his theory--'But it doesn't mean anything--it doesn't tell us anything'. He said, 'It tells you how it moves. That should be enough. I have told you how it moves, not why.' But people are often unsatisfied without a mechanism, and I would like to describe one theory which has been invented, among others, of the type you migh want. This theory suggests that this effect is the result of large numbers of actions, which would explain why it is mathematical.

Suppose that in the world everywhere there are a lot of particles, flying through us at very high speed. They come equally in all directions--just shooting by--and once in a while they hit us in a bombardment. We, and the sun, are practically transparent for them, practically but not completely, and some of them hit. ... If the sun were not there, particles would be bombarding the earth from all sides, giving little impuleses by the rattle, bang, bang of the few that hit. This will not shake the earth in any particular direction, because there are as many coming from one side as from the other, from top as from bottom. However, when the sun is there the particles which are coming from that direction are partially absorbed by the sun, because some of them hit the sun and do not go through. Therefore the number coming from the sun's direction towards the earth is less than the number coming from the other sides, because they meet an obstacle, the sun. It is easy to see that the farther the sun is away, of all the possible directions in which particles can come, a smaller proportion of the particles are being taken out. The sun will appear smaller--in fact inversely as the square of the distance. Therefore there will be an impulse on the earth towards the sun that varies inversely as the square of the distance. And this will be the result of a large number of very simple operations, just hits, one after the other, from all directions. Therefore the strangeness of the mathematical relation will be very much reduced, because the fundamental operation is much simpler than calculating the inverse of the square of the distance. This design, with the particles bouncing, does the calculation.

The only trouble with this scheme is that it does not work, for other reasons. Every theory that you make up has to be analysed against all possible consequences, to see if it predicts anything else. And this does predict something else. If the earth is moving, more particles will hit it from in front than from behind. (If you are running in the rain, more rain hits you in the front of the face than in the back of the head, because you are running into the rain.) So, if the earth is moving it is running into the particles coming towards it and away from the ones that are chasing it from behind. So more particles will hit it from the front than from the back, and there will be a force opposing any motion. This force would slow the earth up in its orbit, and it certainly would not have lasted the three of four billion years (at least) that it has been going around the sun. So that is the end of that theory. 'Well,' you say, 'it was a good one, and I got rid of the mathematics for a while. Maybe I could invent a better one.' Maybe you can, because nobody knows the ultimate. But up to today, from the time of Newton, no one has invented another theoretical description of the mathematical machinery behind this law which does not either say the same thing over again, or make the mathematics harder, or predict some wrong phenomena. So there is no model of the theory of gravity today, other than the mathematical form.

If this were the only law of this character it would be interesting and rather annoying. But what turns out to be true is that the more we investigate, the more laws we find, and the deeper we penetrate nature, the more this disease persists. Every one of our laws is a purely mathematical statement in rather complex and abstruse mathematics.