Hello, list. I occasionally posted here, years ago; lately I've lurked. Russell, your book is high on my 'to read' list!

On Oct 7, 2005, at 6:04 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:

Hi Russell and Friends,

I just ran across the following post and thought that you might find it interesting. Any comments?

Onward!

Stephen

One comment - the Unruh effect has some strange consequences. There was a result last year that two observers sharing an entangled states (e.g. EPR pairs) will disagree on the degree to which they are entangled, if one observer is in an accelerated frame. This is truly bizarre. Paper at http://www.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0410172 . From the abstract:

"Two observers determine the entanglement between two free bosonic modes by each detecting one of the modes and observing the correlations between their measurements. We show that a state which is maximally entangled in an inertial frame becomes less entangled if the observers are relatively accelerated. This phenomenon, which is a consequence of the Unruh effect, shows that entanglement is an observer-dependent quantity in non-inertial frames."

Bob Hearn

Robert A. Hearn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/