Hi Russell:

Because there is only one primitive - an isolated point and one source of "meaning" its position in its region. If the region has only discrete locations then one can encode a state of this type of universe directly as a string of 0's and 1's. 1's mark the position occupied by the point in its region and 0's mark the empty positions in its region. Each region has its own sub string consisting of 0's and a single 1. [quite compressible] Once you have a particular Huge Lookup Table [HLT] you have how a particular universe will evolve from this state. Attach the HLT as a prefix to the string.

The computational resources required are a large memory as with any model of a universe such as ours but a simple processor.

Generally I think each region can be updated asynchronously and entanglement may be where you do it synchronously for selected regions.

You can "expand" such a universe by just adding regions.

Of course in the real universe the HLT is immediately presented to the point via the local "curvature" [shape] of the grid and "observations" by large dances [observers] is just an interpretation of the large scale shape of the grid.

Any model keeping track of the particulars of an ocean of particles [or strings] and determining the next state with a bunch of force etc formulas over a continuous 3 space plus continuous time seems far more complicated to me even when you get rid of the computer.

Hal Ruhl