Hal Ruhl wrote:

Hi Jesse:

In FCC ABC layering the distance between the centers of any two adjacent regions is always the same.

Now if we get to motion the question is whether or not the model allows motion. In a discrete state evolving universe there is no motion while a universe is in a particular state and there is no continuous transition to the next state but rather a wink out and a wink in.

The postulates of special relativity:

"Postulate 1: (Principle of Relativity) The laws of nature are the same in all inertial frames.

Postulate 2: (Constancy of the Velocity of Light) The speed of light in empty space is an absolute constant of nature and is independent of the motion of the emitting body.

are satisfied if there is no motion so the model would have Lorentz-symmetry.

How can you have different "reference frames" if you dismiss motion entirely? Are you saying there would only be a single reference frame in this theory? That definitely isn't an acceptable solution, any fundamental underlying theory has to reduce to SR in the limit of large distances and times, so it doesn't make sense to just say something like "since there is no motion, you don't have multiple reference frames". Anyway, it seems to me it wouldn't be very hard to generalize the concept of different frames to a universe where change is discontinuous rather than continuous--just have the origin of the coordinate system jump discontinuously too, by regular increments--and a regular lattice means the laws of physics won't work the same in different frames defined in such a way. It's possible that a more random lattice might avoid such problems, I'm not sure...

Jesse