Hi Hal,

Indeed, if intellectual progress had continued at the rate it had in ancient Athens, for example, and provided that the Greeks overcame their disdain for technology (which promotes as well as feeds off "pure" science), we would have colonised the stars by now, and who knows where our physical theories would be? But an interesting exercise would have been to ask the best scientists or philosophers in each historical period how close they thought they thought they were to understanding everything about their subject. If this could be somehow expressed as figure - a "perceived knowledge index", perhaps - I suspect it would (a) stay remarkably constant over time, and (b) be paradoxically higher during periods where little intellectual progress was being made.

Stathis Papaioannou

Hi Stathis:

As far as I can see knowledge and understanding do not increase monotonically. From what I have been reading lately the ancient Greeks etc. were doing rather well re our quest yet all was virtually forgotten/lost.

Hal Ruhl