Russell, list,

Thanks for pointing out Roy Frieden and EPI.

At first skim, it reminds me vaguely of the argument by C.S. Peirce (there's
that name again) that space was curved. The idea was that it would take
infinite precision of measurement to establish that space were perfectly
Euclidean "all the way down," and that, given all the scales and ways in which
it could be curved, and the single and unique way for it to be Euclidean, it
was overwhelmingly likely to be curved.

I'm not sure how such an argument holds up in consideration of things like the
Planck radius, or in Frieden's or EPI's terms, but the general notion is that
of inferring physical laws or spatial geometries from measurement issues. In
Peirce's case, the idea seems to have involved considering what would be
established by research indefinitely prolonged, which ultimate or indefinitely
far destination Peirce equated with truth, though in most cases Peirce
considered it to be findable mainly only by actually doing the research.

[Russell]>> Extremum principles come up mostly in Roy Frieden's work. No-one
has managed to integrate Frieden's stuff into the usual framework of this list,
so little mention has been made of it, but I do mention it in my book. The hope
is that some connection can be forged.

[Ben]> I'll try looking into him.

Best, Ben Udell