That's very good, Tom! It's the conclusion I arrived at a few years ago, and I don't see why you describe it as an abandonning of truth. I think being upset at this conclusion is like reaching for the nearest nailed-down object when you first learn that the Earth is a sphere: if you didn't fall off before learning this, why should you fall off after? In any case, we return to the distinction between the utility of a belief and its truth value: if an idea will have negative consequences for all who come to understand it, you could argue that the idea should be kept secret, but you can't argue that the idea is therefore false.

Stathis Papaioannou

Tom wrote:
....what are we left with?

To make my point more plain, I will give my own answer to this question. If we abandon a belief in truth, or if we totally separate truth from our lives, then what are we left with? We are left devoid of meaning in our lives. We would end up with something like, "I as a person, do not exist, for putting such a label as "person" on me would be persumptuous of having a corner on truth, and I don't believe in truth. Instead, I just aimlessly float, like an undefined point, from one observer-moment to the next, and randomly bounce off my surroundings. Since I don't have any beliefs that I hold onto for more than one observer-moment at a time (since I am not a person), then anything can change my mind. In fact, this implies (for I wouldn't dare assume it) that my mind doesn't not exist. There are only particulars. Therefore, why am I even thinking or talking? I am lost. But this doesn't matter because I don't exist as a person and so I have nothing to lose. I am not making sense."

Tom

New year, new job – there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT