Norman Samish wrote:
Thanks to all who replied to my question.  This question has bothered me for years, and I have hopes that some progress can be made towards an answer.
on.

A state of pure "NO THING" would forbid even the existence of numbers, or of empty space, or of an empty set.  It would be non-existence.

Non-existence seems so much simpler than the infinity of things, both material and immaterial, that surrounds us.  So why are things here?  (I'm grateful that they are, of course.)

Is this a self-consistent, if unanswerable, question?

If nothingness did exist, that would be an arbitrary state which therefore would require a cause.

If something did exist by itself and nothing else, that would also be arbitrary and would also require a cause.

The only state that is completely acausal is the plenitude. It is not arbitrary because all possibilities are there. It also contains zero information (a form of nothingness without being nothingness).

George