On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 04:55:37PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > [...] Maps are isomorphic to
> > > territories, but are not territories.
> >
> > Well. Territories *are* maps. Just a very specific type
> > of map but maps anyway.
>
> err...no they are not. You can't grow potatoes in a map of a farm.

If the map is sufficiently detailed it contains a full simulation down
to the chemistry level of the soil, then most people would say that
you can grow (simulated) potatoes on the map.

> > Identity is just an isomorphism
> > among possibly many others.
>
> All identity relations are isomorphisms as well.
> Not all isomporhisms are identity relations.
>
> > The territory can be the map
> > and indeed vice versa.
>
> You can't fold up the farm and put it in your pocket.

I can't fold up the atlas that sits on my bookshelf and fit it in my
pocket either. Yet the atlas is undeniably a map, and undeniably less
detailed than the sorts of maps that might be confused with territory.

Bruno's commentary is still valid. Ad hominem arguments like these are
simply laughable.

may safely ignore this attachment.