On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 11:45:43AM -0500, danny mayes wrote:
> Russell,
>
> Thats a good summary.  However, my issue with your conclusion is this:
> even if I accept that a  "machine" or a "prime mover" is not necessary,
> such explanations are still part of the plenitude and therefore part of
> reality.  So if everything is reducible to math or information, even if
> you are correct that our reality can exist independent of these
> third-party explanations, such explanations still exist as part of the
> totality of everything that can exist.  What this would mean to me is
> that the reality I experience may occur naturally as a consequence of
> the logical bootstrapping you describe, but it would also be occuring
> through any number of artificial creations at the same time.  These
> realities overlap and it would be meaningless for me to try and say
> whether the reality I am experiencing now is one or the other- it is both.

That is precisely my point. It is meaningless to attribute the
creation of the these universes to any particular creator, or to none
at all. Hence the closure. It is a subtle point. Not everyone gets it,
and I'm not even sure of it myself.

> If you accept MWI or the plenitude, there are really only a few ways to
> avoid the above argument.  First, you could argue that our reality is

... deleting the rest, as I'm not trying to avoid the above argument ...

may safely ignore this attachment.