From: Stathis Papaioannou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:12:42 +1000
Subject: Re: Numbers

Georges, Peter:

Arriving at a consistent and reasonable-sounding theory of personal
in the multiverse is difficult, to say the least. Some list members in
past have argued that all copies of a person have an equal claim to
person's identity, so that we should feel responsible for the actions
even those parallel copies whose memories we will never share. I object
this on the grounds that it is unfair (it's not my fault if a parallel
commits a crime, nor do I benefit in any way if a parallel copy has a
rewarding experience), and also because any criterion for how similar
individuals have to be in order to be considered copies is ultimately
arbitrary. I think the clearest way to talk about these matters is to
relinquish the notion that two copies could be the "same person" in any
objective or absolute sense. This naturally leads to the smallest
unit of personhood, delimited in time, space and multiverse, and
analogous to the (somewhat controvesial) observer moment or
In other words, if you say that it was Joe Bloggs at a specific time,
and multiverse branch who did the murder, there can be no argument
about the
identity of the accused. But if you then ask if this is the same Joe
a day or a year before or after the murder, the old philosophical
about personal identity all arise, and we have to answer that *by
convention*, it is, and *by convention*, the older Joe Bloggs in those
multiverse branches where he recalls committing the crime, but not the
younger Joe Bloggs, and not the older Joe Bloggs in those multiverse
branches where (in the absence of a memory disorder) he does not recall
committing the crime, deserves to be punished.

Stathis Papaioannou

> > Georges Quenot wrote:
> >> Your duplicate will know. Not You. And he will no longer
> >> be your duplicate.
> >
> > I am, conventionally, the same person as my previous selves.
> > I have their memories.
>No. You may have lost some of them, acquired some new
>ones and still share most of them (if the previous self
>you consider is not too far in the past). In some sense,
>you are the same person and in some sense you are a
>different person.
> > My duplicate will have my memories.
>Your duplicate will have the same memories as you. This
>is not the same thing. Once your duplicate experience
>something different of what you do, his acquired (and
>possibly his lost) memories will differ from yours. He
>will still share most of your previous common memories
>but he will not know your new ones and you will not
>know his new ones. If he evenutally encoutered Harry
>Potter and you do not, whatever memories you shared
>before, you will not share these ones.
> > Or are you saying that I am not the same person as my
> > previous selves ?
>As I said above, in some sense, you are the same person
>and in some sense you are a different person. I feel I
>am the same person as I was 25 years ago and meanwhile
>I also feel very different. Maybe you also experienced
>something similar.

New year, new job - there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK

To post to this group, send email to