Wei Dai:
If we consider our observable universe as a computation, it's rather atypical
in that it doesn't seem to make use of the erase operation (or other any
operation that irreversibly erases information). The second law of
thermodynamics is a consequence of this. In order to forget anything
(decrease entropy), we have to put the information somewhere else (increase
entropy of the environment), instead of just making it disappear.

___

Not sure I get your point (and it is also possible you write 'erase' actually
meaning 'delete', which is different, at least if you try to 'delete' quantum
states.) Anyway it is (perhaps) possible to say that (according to Everett) the
information content of the original universal state is going to be transformed
into hidden information content of the correlations between the different
'branches'. It seems to me that this process is different from the (usual)
entropy increase of the environment, since the 'environment' here is completely
inaccessible.  The increase of entropy of that inaccessible environment is, in
part, balanced by the entropy decrease of our, actual, present 'branch', due to
its growing specification, or decoherence, or selection (in turn due to all
measurements performed untill now).