Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> Finally, a variation on the type of thought experiments we have been
> discussing (I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already brought this up
> sometime, but I don't recall seeing it). We agree that if someone spends a
> minute in Brussels, then is destructively teleported to Washington, where he
> spends another minute, he will experience two minutes of continuous
> consciousness, the first minute in Brussels and the second minute in
> Washington, even if there is a delay between the disintegration and
> rematerialisation. But what if, somehow, the minute's experience in Brussels
> were run simultaneously with the minute's experience in Washington, just as
> they would have happened consecutively, and then the person in Brussels
> instantly disintegrates. We could even arrange it so that the minute in
> Washington objectively precedes the minute in Brussels, as Greg Egan does
> with uploaded beings in "Permutation City". Would the subject experience the
> same linear progression of time in either c
 ase? Would there be a moral problem with "killing" the subject in Brussels
which was not an issue with the "normal" teleportation?

> Stathis Papaioannou

Without really getting into your thought experiment, I want to ask a
question.  What does it mean to "experience a minute of continuous
consciousness"?  OK, we have a biological clock that gives us a rough
sense of relative passing of time.  But I don't think you maintain that
our personal identity is tied to that, do you?  In order to really be
sure we are going through time, I think we have to get discrete input
from the external world every once in a while to see how much time
(roughly) has passed.  If we are annihilated and duplicated with a
delay, I think we would be interested in how much time actually *did*
pass, in order to continue to live our life (identity) in the most
effective way.

Tom