Brent Meeker writes:

> > If the duplicate did not feel he was the original, then he wouldn't have
> > "all the memories and personality of the original", would he?
> Well that's the question isn't it.  Is there something besides memories and
> personality that makes
> you you.  Could you feel that your memories belonged to somebody else?  I
> think that no duplication
> is going to be perfect - it's just a question of whether the difference will
> be detectable with
> reasonable effort.  If one remembers having a green pencil in the first grade
> and the other
> remembers having a blue one, how could anyone know which is right?

Is the duplication process good enough to match or better the mechanisms
naturally in place to preserve the functional integrity of the brain from
moment to moment? That is the question that needs to be answered. It would be
unreasonable to speculate that the duplicate may not be the same person as the
original based on some test which, if applied consistently, might also cast
doubt on whether we are still the same person from moment to moment in ordinary
life. Putting it differently, maybe we *aren't* the same person from moment to
moment: maybe we are constantly dying, to be replaced by a close, but
necessarily imperfect copy. After all, nature will not evolve a system to
perfectly preserve mental attributes throughout life just because such an
arrangement is aesthetically pleasing. Preservation of the majority of
memories, personality, other learned and instinctive behaviours, and a *belief*
that we are the same person throughout life so that we will plan for our future
well-being are the only qualities that evolution could act on. Since our brains
are being continuously rebuilt at considerable metabolic expense, any subtle
mental quality that has no effect on behaviour would be ruthlessly pared away
by evolution's razor.

Stathis Papaioannou
Try where your online world comes together - with news, sports,
weather, and much more.
To post to this group, send email to