John M wrote:

> --- Brent Meeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (unless the final remark with Saibal/s signature
> underneath comes from him):
> Stathis wrote:
>
>>I would say that the 1st person experience is *not*
>>an illusion in any sense of the word. It is the very
>>opposite, in a >way: the most real thing, which
>>cannot be doubted...
>
> *
> "I agree.  Other people are part of the model of the
> world we form.  And in the same way the existence of
> myself, as a durable entity, is also a part of that
> model.
> Brent Meeker"
> *
> Does this agreed double(?) statement not rub too close
> on solipsism?

Not if you accept that *all* our ideas of reality are models.  The fact that
they work well and are
coherent makes me believe they are models of an external reality - not a
personal illusion - but I
can still doubt that they *are reality* itself.  In other words I take them to
be like scientific
theories: provisionally accepted, but subject to refutation.

> Then again:
>
>>The person I was when I was 3 years old is dead. He
>>died because
>>too much new information was added to his brain.
>>          -- Saibal Mitra
>
> *
> An interesting observation from Saibal that increasing
> the info-input to one's brain kills person(ality?).
> I would not say "dead",  rather 'changed' as into some
> different one. (It is a gradual change, death is being
> thought of as something more abrupt and
> comprehensive.)
> In spite of that, knowing that when as a 5-yo I had
> different person-ality and ideas, brainfunction and
> emotions, I still feel NOW identity with THAT PERSON.

I have memories from when I was 5yrs old, but the source of identity I feel in
those memories arises
only from the fact that I remember a personal viewpoint in spactime and I
remember emotions.  Those
are the same aspects of memories of last week that make them coherent with my
model of myself as a
being who persists over time.

Brent Meeker