We can all agree, I think, that many among us humans are irrational.  What's
more, many are obsessed with killing others who don't agree with them.  The
Conquistadors who killed the Aztecs and Incas "because God wished it so" and
the radical Muslims who kill the infidels "because God wishes it so" are of
the same stripe.

It's occurred to me that senseless killings argue for one particular
solution of the Fermi Paradox ("If aliens exist, where are they?").  This
solution is that it is the nature of intelligent organisms to destroy
themselves as soon as they attain the capability..

The diverse life forms on Earth suggest that the universe is probably
teeming with low-order life forms.  The lack of evidence to the contrary
suggests that there are only a few intelligent life forms.  Is this because,
as soon as the intelligent life form evolves, it starts warring with itself
and self-destructs?

This may happen rapidly - there may be only a short time interval (100 or
200 earth-years) where radio transmissions that would be detectable on Earth
are made.

We haven't detected any transmissions from now-expired societies because the
evolution of high-order life forms occurs only rarely, so alien radio
transmissions are very rare.

If this hypothesis is correct, mankind may be approaching its last days.  I
hope it's not correct.  What do you think?

Norman