Brent,

> Faith usually refers to some belief independent of evidence.

I guess we have a serious problem of terminology. Faith without
evidence is bad faith or perhaps better blind faith.

I was meaning faith in truth. (Although faith in your 1-self works also
in my setting). I cannot define "truth",(nor your 1-self)  but I can
argue that "faith in truth" leads to modesty, even in "religious"
affair.
I would say Fundamentalism  is even a typical symptom of blind faith.
It appears when, sometimes driven by despairing events, some people
(collectively or privately) loose faith in truth, or in themselves,
and then jumps on any populist herzats concocted by mad, ignorant, or
dishonest entity.