Russell Standish writes:

> In the Multiverse, there is a huge difference between a recording and
> the actual computation. Only in one single universe (or history) of
> the ensemble do the two coincide.
>
> The "recording is a computation" issue is only a problem for single
> universe theory IMHO.

Do you mean that the recording is static while the computation branches
out in the MV? Couldn't we also say that all possible related recordings exist
somewhere in the multiverse, giving just as broad a variety of putative
computations as the conventional computer? In any case, even if the
recording is confined to a single universe while the computation roams all
over the ensemble, does that necessarily say anything about whether the
recording can be conscious?

Stathis Papaioannou