Peter Jones writes:
> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > Peter Jones writes:

> > > If it is being run at all, it is dynamic, not static. Parallel
> > > processes are still
> > > processes.
> >
> > But the important point is that the temporal sequence does not itself make
> > a difference
> > to subjective experience.
>
> We don't actually know that it is possible that
> there might be some flicker effect.

Not necessarily. I'm suggesting that the actual physical events are *exactly*
the same,
just their order is different. If the world were created 5 minutes ago,
complete with
fossils, ruins, false memories etc., you could not be aware of this on the
basis of any
observation - by definition, otherwise the illusion would not be perfect. This
is of course
no reason to believe that the world was created 5 minutes ago; but it does mean
that
the absence of a sensation of having just flickered into existence is no
evidence *against*
this theory.

> > Would you say that it is in theory possible for the subjective
> > passage of time to be as we know it if the blocks were not infinitesimal,
> > but lasted for
> > a second, so that the whole ensemble of blocks lasted for a second?
>
> There is still duration within blocks

Yes, and...

> >  Then what if you
> > make the blocks shorter in duration and larger in number, progressively
> > down to
> > infinitely many blocks of infinitesimal duration: is there room for
> > dynamism in an
> > infenitesimal interval?
>
> There are such things as infintiessimal velocities...

So if there is room for movement in infinitesimal intervals (or through
combination of
infinitesimal intervals) in a linear theory of time, why not with a block
universe?

Stathis Papaioannou