Brent Meeker wrote:

> But the only reason for axiomatizing a physical theory is to see if it
> has some
> hidden inconsistency.

I don't think so. Except Bunge, I don't know about physicist attempt to
axiomatize physics. Physical theories are always to fuzzy as to be
formalised. But they rely on math which can be formalized, but this is
only a logician preoccupation.

> Of course it is extremely unlikely that it is arithmetic that will be
> changed simply because it would mean revising so many theories
> (including common
> sense ones); but it is not ruled out in principle.

I agree. With the exception of some rare ultra-intuitionist or
ultra-finitist, everybody agree on arithmetic. That is why Aritmetical
realism, as I understand it, is a very weak assumption.

>> Note that if you understand the whole UDA, you should realize that the
>> price of assuming a physical universe (and wanting it to be related
>> with our experiences *and* our experiments) is to postulate that you
>> (and us, if you are not solipsistic) are not turing emulable.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood.  I thought it only implied that you were
> *probably*
> being turing emulated - not that you necessarily were.

?
No, if comp is true you are certainly emulate (even before the
reversal).
But if "matter" exists in a primary way (like Peter D. Jones describes
it), then the UDA leads to our non turing emulability. UDA shows "I am
turing emulable" => physics emerge from number relations.

>> But "2" is just another notation for "xx".
>
> No I meant "xx" as a specific instance, like "||" and "@@". "2" is a
> notation
> for the class of all pairs or some such abstraction.

Mmmh... I disagree. The class of all pairs is only a representation (an
implementation would say a computer scientist) of the number 2 in a
theory of sets (actually it is the definition by Russell and nobody
uses it: set theorist nowadays represents 2 as {{}{{}}} = {0,1}.
I would say the "real" platonic number two is beyond any
representation. What 2 really *is*?. Nobody knows, nobody cares. The
axiomatic method has been invented for not being perturbed by
such questions.

Bruno

Truth is needed for justice,
justice is needed for peace,