Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Brent meeker writes (quoting SP):
>

>>> Every physical system contains if-then statements. If the grooves on the
>>> record were different, then the sound coming out of the speakers would also
>>> be
>>> different.
>>
>> That's not a statement contained in the physical system; it's a statement
>> about
>> other similar physical systems that you consider possible. You could as well
>> say, (print "Hello world.") contains an if-then because if the characters in
>> the
>> string were different the output would be different.
>

> I don't see how you could make the distinction well-defined.

That's my point.  Counterfactuals are defined relative to some
environment/data/input
which we suppose to be possibly different.  It's not so much that it's not well
defined, but that it's aribtrarily defined.  So I think lz's point about
intelligence
requiring counterfactuals is the same as saying intelligence is relative to
some
environment - a view with which I agree.  In the case of reproducing organisms
the
organism/environment distinction is clear.  In a simulation it's not.

Brent Meeker