Brent Meeker writes:

> Almost is not completely.  In any case, I don't think consciousness is
> maintained
> indefinitely with no inputs.  I think a "brain-in-a-vat" would go into an
> endless
> loop without external stimulus.

That's an assumption, but even if true it would only say something about the
nature of human brains. It is easy enough to imagine a brain with
neurons that provide the same kind of input as the environment does, modulating
their activity in response to feedback from other neurons. It would just be a
technical problem to ensure that it didn't go into an endless loop.

Stathis Papaioannou
To post to this group, send email to