Le 24-août-06, à 22:46, Colin Geoffrey Hales wrote:

> ...... theology
>
> A much better pejorative!

I can understand, but I *strongly* disagree on this. "theology" has
been studied by the so called "rational mystics", which are also the
"greek philosopher/scientist" (but also by Chinese and Indian
logicians) during more than one millennia. It is just a sad and
contingent fact that theology has been appropriated by politician since
about 500 A.D. Abandoning the term "theology" is the product of a
confusion between the field "theology" and the contingent christian
theology.
Well, apparently, thanks to St-Augustin (french writing) 2/3 of the
main Christian Theology could be Plotinian, and so is closer to comp
than, for example the Atheist position, and comp (I mean together with
its "immaterialist" consequences) seems to be much harder to be
accepted  by atheists than by christians (I got many empirical
confirmation of this).
I agree with John Mikes: an atheist need to believe in something for
not believing in it. Actually they are doubly dogmatic, in the sense
they cannot doubt about the existence of "a physical-stuffy universe",
and very often, atheist denies they are dogmatic (unlike typical
"believer").

I try to avoid completely the term "metaphysics", mainly because I use
"metamathematics" in comp, and this could be confusing. I agree with
Peter, here, the two "meta" are unrelated.
(Actually a case could be made that Everett made "metaphysics" in the
sense of the "meta" in metamathematics: but I avoid insisting on that:
the term "metaphysics" is too much emotionally charged).

Now we have already developed an entire thread on this "vocabulary"
problem, and I refer those interested to consult them. Other
opportunity will appear probably when I will give more explanations on
the arithmetical interpretation of Plotinus' hypostases. See the recent
"ROADMAP (SHORT)" for a preview.