Peter Jones writes:

> > But is there any sense in which we as humans are any more "free" than
> > billiard
> > balls or dice beyond the fact that we *feel* we are free?
>
> There may be. For instance, freedom might be a combination of
> indeterminism and rational self-control.
>
> > I have a strong feeling
> > that my free will is not randomness and not determinism: is there anything
> > really
> > other tthan these two possibilities?
>

> Various combinations of them. Why should it not be a combination ?

OK, that could be the case, but then the roll of the dice will probably also be
best
described as a combination of randomness and deterministic physical laws. So
the
reason I have free will and the dice do not is just that I feel I have free
will, not that my
behaviour is fundamentally any more or less predictable or subject to physical
laws.

Stathis Papaioannou