Russell Standish wrote:
> The NS article is
>
>  issue 2556 of New Scientist magazine, 19 June 2006, page 50
>
> the actual published work is
>
> Cell, vol 122, p 133
>
> What he measured was the age of carbon in DNA, which is only a tiny
> fraction of the total number of atoms making up a cell. So I guess you
> are right in your more restricted meaning of "same".
>
> Cheers

I wonder what part of neuron remains over a long period time.  I can well
understand
the electrolytes and other components that are part of the metabolic cycle
turning
over fairly quickly.  But what about the structural protiens that give shape to
the
axons?  What about the myline sheath?  Do they really turn over quickly too?

Brent Meeker