See below, please
----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Geoffrey Hales" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 12:58 AM
Subject: Re: Zuse Symposium: Is the universe a computer? Berlin Nov 6-7

>> Addition to my "lost and found" 1st post in this topic to
>> Marc:
>> I wonder how would you define besides 'universe' and 'computer' the ----"
>> IS
>> "----?
>> *
>> I agree that 'existence' is  more than a definitional question.
>> Any suggestion yet of an (insufficient?) definition?
>> (Not Descartes' s "I think therefore I think I am"  and so on)
>> John
> There's only 1 thing which is intrinsic to the idea of 'being' that I can
> think of:
> Regardless of the scale (choices = quark, atom, human, planet, galaxy), if
> you are to 'be' whatever it is that comprises that which you are 'being',
> you automatically define a perspective on the rest of the universe. It
> does not mean that perspective is visible, only that the perspective is
> innate to the situation.
> So....I am made of one little chunk of the universe, you another and so
> on. My chunk is not your chunk and vice versa. If I am an atom then I get
> a view of the rest of the universe (that is expressing an un-atom). The
> rest of the universe has a perspective view of the atom.
> This division of 'thing' and 'un-thing' within the universe is implicit to
> the situation. The division is notional from an epistemological stand
> point, where we 'objectify' to describe. That does not alter the 'reality'
> of the innate perspective 'view' involved with 'being' the described.
> make sense?
> Colin
maybe, not to my understanding;
I separated the 'existence' from the 'IS", in which of course an
'identity' - at least similarity is involved originally.
May I paraphrase your explanation:
"I am" - 'made of a chunk  of something called universe, - whatever I call
so - and the 'rest of the world' is made of chunks of something different.
Not too explanatory.
Of course it  disregards my question and starts with an implied  "if I
exist..." what the question really was. Not only I, but 'ANYTHING'.
I was driving towards the difference between 'be' amd 'become' - the first a
snapshot stationalized, the 2nd in an ever changing process.
So:  what is "existence'?

To post to this group, send email to