Hi Russell

At 09:53 PM 11/17/2006, you wrote:

>To say that there must be a physical computer on which the dovetailer
>should run, is rather similar to saying there must be an ultimate
>turtle upon which the world rests. The little old lady was right in
>saying "its turtles all the way down". Of course it is also analogous
>to saying there must be a prime mover to start the causal chain.

Back on 9/4/06 I posted a more recent version of my model.  While
this model continues to evolve, I define "Physical Reality" as the
property of an object that allows objects to interact - it is the
only property of an object allowed to change.

I think one can make a loose correspondence between my list and its
dynamic and the UD as follows:

1) Some of my objects and all the states of all the programs in all
the possible UD trace states [However, I suspect some if not most of
my objects are not Turing computable.].

2) My "object to object interaction [according to local interaction
rules]" and the operation of the UD itself [a current program state
producing the next state via the particular computer's
configuration[state]].  My list would have a locus containing a group
of closely related properties re the level of the "Physical Reality"
of an object.  Within this locus objects interact by "pushing" each
other's boundary around by rules local to those objects. This
boundary pushing is like what the UD's operation does [it seems to me].

3) The current "Physical Reality" distribution among some of my
objects and the current state of the UD trace.

However, the UD trace is binary in that it is only active at one
state at a time and all other states are inactive.  I think that that
is a disallowed selection from a more general multiplicity of
possibilities.  Also I have more objects than possible program states.

Nevertheless I see no need for a fundamental material matrix in which
to play out the dynamics of my list.  In fact I think it would be
logically excluded as a global necessity since it would select just a
subset of the possible dynamics of interaction between my objects
because the matrix would have to have some properties.

I think that this argument as far as a material matrix goes is to a
degree along the lines of your argument but clearly I presently see
the UD as just a subset of my list's dynamic.

Hal Ruhl