Colin:
> When you take away phenomenal consciousness what can't you do?

Brent:
I don't know, because I don't know what it is.

What it is?
..is what changes radically when you close your eyes.
..is what you lose when you have a dreamless sleep.
..is what totally stops you doing science when it's not there.
..is as real as a rock
..is our only interface with reality outside ourselves

What causes it?
..that's a different question and not actually needed to make progress in
this discussion. We just have to admit that we don't know and examine our
assumptions about the universe that create our lack of ability to sort it
out.

colin