Hi,
Le Dimanche 26 Novembre 2006 12:43, Colin Geoffrey Hales a écrit :
> Note: Scientists, by definition:
> a) are doing science on the world external to them
> b) inhabit a universe of exquisite novelty
>    ...or there'd be no need for them!
Please note: Zombies by definition:
a) are functionnaly equivalent to what you called 'scientists'.
b) are undistinguishable from what you called 'scientists', because if they
were it would be a property that would easily discriminate them.

The zombie point is a I'll say one more time a point to show non-sense in
dualistic view... what it means is either that a property of the natural/real
world is not copiable/replicable and that copying all physical/computational
properties is not enough, there is still left the PC(what you call phenomenal
consciousness which could be shorten to consciousness) which discriminate
zombie from the scientist.

Taking your point is this:

Definition:

Zombie can't do science because they don't have PC.
Scientist can do science because they have PC

Conclusion:

Zombie can't do science because they don't have PC.
So zombie can't be a scientist.

You assume in your definition that they can't (and also that functionnaly
identical being to a human is possible without it/him/her having
consciousness).

What the zombie argument says (and I repeat it again) is that you SHOULD (if
you are an honest rational person) accept ONE (and only one as they are
contradictory proposition) of the following propositions:

1) Consciousness is not tied to a given behavior nor to a given physical
attribute, replicating these does not give consciousness. (This permit
existence of so called 'zombie' being). Also the "special(s)" attribute(s)
that discriminate conscious/non conscious being is in no way
emulable/simulable/replicable/copiable (if it was, it would not be
dualistic).

2) Zombies are IMPOSSIBLE (non sensical proposition), if you
do/construct/create a functionnaly identical being, it WILL
be conscious. (It is not possible that it acts like it was conscious without
really being conscious)

Quentin