Tom Cayolor writes:

> > > Schaeffer maintained that the basis for antithesis is not that it was
> > > an invention of Aristotle or anyone, but that the basis for antithesis
> > > is reality itself, based on the God who is there (as opposed to not
> > > being there).  The existence of the personal God answers the questions:
> > >
> > > 1) Why is there something rather than nothing?  i.e. the question of
> > > the origin of the form of the universe, why does it "make sense"?  What
> > > is the basis for the nature of reality and beauty?
> > > 2) Why is man the way he/she is?  Why is man able to have language and
> > > do science, and make sense of the world?  Why is man able to love and
> > > figure out what is right?  What is the basis for meaning?  What is the
> > > basis for mind?  How can persons know one another?
> > > 3) Why is man able to know anything, and know that he knows what he
> > > knows?  What is the basis for truth?  What is truth?
> >
> > The first two questions are difficult, but they apply to God as much as the
> > universe,
> > despite ontological argument trickery whereby God is just defined as
> > existing necessarily
> > (Gaunilo's answer to Anselm was that you can also just define a "perfect
> > island" as an
> > island which exists necessarily, and therefore cannot not exist).
> >
> > The other questions are easy: blind evolution made us this way.
> >
> The word "blind" here is a statement of faith in impersonality.  I
> would paraphrase Brent Meeker and ask, "Why does 'blind' have to be the
> default?"  My response to Bruno addresses the assumption of
> impersonality.

It's Occam's Razor: why add the complication of guided evolution (or other
intervention) when you can explain a phenomenon without it? There doesn't seem
be anything in biology that could not have come about through random processes
in a
universe with physical laws such as our own. If God played any role in it he is
at best
completely indifferent to the plight of his creatures. It suits blind evolution
very well that
being devoured by a predator is as unpleasant as possible for the prey, but how
does this
fit in with the plans of the gentle God of modern Christian apologists?
> > > However, from the birth of modern science, we have taken a journey to
> > > dispense with any kind of faith and try to be exhaustive in our
> > > automony and control.  Ironically we have abandoned rationality
> > > (including antithesis), and we have abandoned ourselves to ourselves.
> > > We are lost in a silent sea of meaningless 0's and 1's, and man is a
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > This is why I said that when we put ourselves at the center of our
> > > worldview, it is a prison.
> >
> > Er, science is usually taken as more concerned with rationality than
> > religion and
> > less anthropocentric than religion. Turning it around seems more a
> > rhetorical ploy
> > than a defensible position.
> >
> > Stathis Papaioannou
> >
> Science has to take rationality by faith.  Without a personal God both
> science and religion are anthropocentric because in such a
> configuration there is no one else besides us.

Science doesn't have to take anything by faith, even though scientists, being
after all the same
species that created religions, often do. Science is at bottom just
systematised common sense. I
see storm clouds so I take my umbrella: that's meteorology. If you want to call
it "faith" because there
is no way of being certain that past storm cloud behaviour will be repeated in
future, then what term
would you reserve for the person who leaves his umbrella behind because he
believes that today God
will miraculously make the raindrops miss him?

As for anthropocentricity without a personal God, I think that is a subterfuge.
Of two groups of fish,
one believing that God is a big fish watching over them and the other lacking
any such belief, which
group would you say is the more fish-centric?

Stathis Papaioannou
To post to this group, send email to