Tom Caylor writes:

> > I agree (with the proviso that I suppose that by "machine" you talk
> > about the old pregodelian conception of (non universal) machine.
> > We don't know what universal machine are capable of, and I don't see
> > why a present "God" would abandon them.  I hope you can harbor some
> > doubt about the proposition that machine are stupid, lack subjective
> > phenomenality, etc.
> >
> > Bruno
> >

> > http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
>
> I don't want to commit my future to a machine.
>
> Tom

It's an interesting turn of phrase in the current discussion: did you really
mean
to say "I don't want to" or "I don't think it is the case, independently of
what I
want"?

Anyway, I don't see how you could deny you are a machine any more than you
could deny a car is a machine. You are made up of tiny little components all
working
together smoothly, and if something breaks, you break. God could have made us
solid
like a potato animated by an immaterial soul, or left out the solid part
altogether, but
instead he made every part function in accordance with the basically very well
understood
chemistry of a handful of elements. It's amazing that these chemical reactions
give rise to
walking, talking humans, but then I'm still pretty impressed that my car can
take me to places
in quiet comfort while thousands of explosions are occurring in the engine.

Stathis Papaioannou