Le 04-déc.-06, à 23:41, Brent Meeker a écrit :

> All the theologians I know of (except maybe Bruno who has his own
> definition of "theology") hold that God provides all meaning - in fact
> many regard that as a kind of proof of the existence of God: "If God
> doesn't exist our lives will have no meaning."  A kind of
> proof-by-nihilism.

Brent, you already talked once as if I was using the word "theology" in
some personal sense, and I already give you the source of my
definition. I am using the word theology in the sense of the one who
invented the world, and as it has been used during more than one
millenium: Plato. The definition is in "the laws". Plato defined it by
the science, that is what reason can say about, the Gods and the God
and more generally any attempt toward fundamental matter.
It is an entirely contingent and sad fact that theology has been more
or less stolen by the temporal authoritative power of the Roman, and
that still today many people forget that theology has been and can
still be a science, ie something than can be driven by the modesty
attitude. The reason is that the Church and their objective allied,
the atheists which are as dogmatic as the leaders of institutionalized
churches, know that such reasoning on such fundamental matters, is
always threatening their temporal power.
Now all tradition have had good theologians at all time, even if
sometimes some are obliged to talk in coded way just for not finishing
on the fire.
To refuse the use of the original word "theology" is just a way to
defend (purposefully or not) 1500 years of institutionalized
charlatanry.
Scientist who says today that the mind body is a false problem are just
playing that game, and today, atheism is much more an aid to "fake
religion" than even moderate christian theology (which indeed borrowed
many things in science from the greeks).

You can search for many informations and references on the web which
will confirm what I say by Googelling, for example,  on the word "plato
theology".
Just one second goggeling: from
http://mb-soft.com/believe/txn/theology.htm:

" The term theology is a compound of the Greek words theos ("god") and
logos ("word," "discourse," "thought," "reason"). Theology may
therefore be defined as reasoned discourse about God. In a strict sense
theology considers only the existence and nature of divine being. In
its wider and more usual sense, however, it may encompass the full
range of the divine's relationships to the world and to humanity as
well as the full variety of human responses to the divine. Although
used more commonly of Western religions, the term may be applied to the
systematic study and presentation of any religion.

  The first to use the term was apparently the Greek philosopher Plato,
for whom theology meant a rational conception of the divine as opposed
to poetic myths about the gods. The subsequent Greek tradition of
rational theology survived well into Christian times, and aspects of it
have been influential in shaping various Jewish, Christian, and Islamic
theologies."