Le 07-déc.-06, à 18:07, Brent Meeker a écrit :

> In a way my advice would be almost the opposite of Stathis'es.

Hmmm.... It is like in IRIDIA, I got contradicting suggestions ....

>  If you're selling a book, getting religion into the title is a good
> move.  I think you're misusing "theology" by holding to an archaic
> meaning - but if you call your book, "Theology of the Machine" or
> "Cyber Theology" it will help it sell and you can immediately
> establish that you are using "theology" in an unconventional,
> tongue-in-cheek sense.

Machine Theology ? It seems not too bad ....

I must think deeper. Perhaps I will try to explain better why I feel
the need to distinguish science and theology and still keeping the idea
that we can preserve a scientific attitude doing theology ....
It is related with the fact that, at least in a first but important
approximation, the modal logic G will play the role of "science" and
the corona G* minus G should play the role of theology. Then a lobian
machine M can prove the whole of the <science/theology> of a simpler
machine m, and lift that result by abductive inference about herself.
Anyone saying yes to a doctor do, implicitly or explicitly,  such a
move. With comp, doctor appears as kind of (modest and cautious type
of) priester ...

I like also the idea of using the theological wording to cut at the
start the reductionist prejudices which goes along with the traditional
(pregodelian) understanding of the mechanist thesis. We really don't
know what are universal machine capable of. If we are ourself universal
machine (and no more than universal machine) then we can prove from
that assumption that we cannot really know what are universal machine
capable of.