  From: Stathis Papaioannou
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 10:01 PM
  Subject: RE: Evil ?

  Dear John,

  Perhaps if you could answer just this question of Brent's, neither a straw
man nor personal abuse:

  "Do you consider all belief systems to be equal? If not what makes one better
than another?

  Stathis Papaioannou

  ________________________________
  > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  > To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  > Subject: Re: Evil ?
  > Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:41:55 -0500
  >
  > Dear Brent,
  > I value many of your posts higher than continue this exchange which starts
to turn strawmannishly ad personam.
  > I wanted to continue,  but deleted my post before sending.
  > I do not promise NOT to reflect to your posts in other matters, but what
this developed into is  - as it marks - "Evil".
everything-list@googlegroups.com<mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>
  > Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:39 PM
  > Subject: Re: Evil ?
  > John M wrote:
  > > Brent,
  > > sorry if I irritated you - that is felt in your response.
  > > ----------------------
  > > You remarked:
  > > (>">     Upon your:
  > >  >     "...an unbiased sample, of the available evidence? " is showing.
  > > -      Who is unbiased? )"<
  > > You don't have to decide who's unbiased.
  > > JM:
  > > My question meant: NOBODY is unbiased. Not you, not me, whoever 'thinks'
  > > has some position which is hard to overcome.
  > Why should everyone "overcome" their position.
  > > In the continuation I would appreciate to substitute your "opinion" word
  > > by "belief system" - scientific or religious.
  > > -----------------
  > > " Is there no reason to prefer science to voodoo?"
  > > Ask a voodoo official.
  > I'm asking you.
  > >A friend was raised by nuns in Chile and asked
  > > "I was thinking..." whereupon the nun - educatrix shouted her down: "you
  > > should not "think" you should "believe". (Have you ever believed a
  > > science-book? Say: stories told by your college-professor? )
  > No.  And if you ask a scientist if he believes some theory you'll either
get a funny look or an exposition on the evidence for and against.
  > > You cannot exclude in reasonable discussions the religious vast majority
  > > of humanity, - talking about a handful of 'free thinking'
  > > fundamentalists (science-crazed  people) is a vaste of time.
  > They are not "a vast majority" in most of Europe.  So it is quite possible
for there to be non-religious societies.
  > >In our
  > > western 'culture' the science-belief system is comparable mutatis
  > > mutandis with the religious one - noting some differences WHAT
  > > conditions are set for accepting an evidence (=truth).
  > And is that difference unimportant?  Do you consider all belief-systems to
be equal?  If not, what makes one better than another?
  > > --------
  > > Your: "???" - look in your text for "imply".
  > > --------------
  > > Your par: "What's your evidence for that? ..."
  > > You can pick the religious old, I can pkick the others, and tjhose who
  > > changed (or abandoned at all) religions. I was referring to a "pristine
  > > faith" of the young. The official religion of a country is politics. I
  > > don't know about your statistical figures, but social (marital?)
  > > pressure keeps lots of people as churchgoers from the many millions that
  > > don't go. Even in countries of an 'official' state-religion.
  > > --------
  > > Finally:
  > > "... in fact they all claim that they are immune from test.  This is
  > > where they fail in their epistemological duty."
  > >
  > > You mean the epistemological duty YOU impose? They simply claim to be
  > > immune from YOUR test, they have their own 'test' and 'evidence'.
  > > That was my point.
  > I think humans valuing knowledge is as fundamental as their valuing food
and sex. So there is a recognized epistemological duty.  Everyone, in every
culture, is contemptuous of the fool and a fool is someone who readily adopts
false beliefs.