  From: Stathis Papaioannou
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 7:13 PM
  Subject: Re: Statistical Measure, does it matter?

  On 3/20/07, John M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Stathis:
    it seems you apply some hard 'Occami\sation' to consckiousness: as I see
you consider it as 'being conscious - vs. unconscious'. The physiological
(mediacal?) way.
    In my experience from reading and intenrnet-discussing Ccness for over 15
years - most researchers consider it more than that: the noun (Ccness) is only
partially related to the adjective (conscious - maybe "of")..
    This is why I included into my identification of it not only
"acknowledgement" referring to the awareness-part, but also 'and response to'
which implies activity in some process.
    Considering our world as a process it has not too much merit to identify an
importqan noumenon (still not agreed upon its content) as a snapshot-static
image of a state.
    Some equate Ccness with life itself (good idea, life is another
questionmark).
    Your anesthesiologistic version has its audience, but so has the wider
sense as well.
    John M

  I thought my sense was wider. You can be conscious even though you are not
actually analysing sensory input, remembering things from your past, and so on.
And I'm not sure that life can be equated with consciousness because you are
still alive, and even your neurons are still for the most part going about
their business, when you are asleep or anaesthetised.

  Stathis Papaioannou