On 3/22/07, Brent Meeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> >

> > On 3/22/07, *Brent Meeker* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >

> >     John M wrote:
> >      > Stathis and Brent:
> >      >
> >      > ineresting and hard-to-object sentiments.
> >      > Would it not make sense to write instead of
> >      > "we are" (thing-wise) -
> >      > the term less static, rather process-wise:
> >      > "We do"  (in whatever action)?
> >      >
> >      > John M
> >
> >     That's part of what I'm struggling with.  ISTM that OMs, being
> >     static, may leave out something essential to consciousness.  But
> >     this conflicts with the idea of simulations in which all process
> >     rates are encoded statically as state values.  I think however this
> >     misses the point that a simulation must be *run* and that when it is
> >     run the computer provides the "rate", i.e. the clock.
> >

> > As Quentin said, the computer clock rate cannot be determined from
> > within the simulation. Also, as far as I am aware no-one has been able
> > to come up with a method for distinguishing between block universe time
> > and linear time, as in a block universe static slices give rise to the
> > effect (or illusion) of linear time.
>
> I'm well aware of that - I've written a lot of simulations, ODE, PDE, and
> stochastic.  But ISTM that if I look at what a computer is doing in running
> a simulation, its state is defined by a lot of variable values and functions
> that computer the rate-of-change of those variables - not just the
> values.  When it runs, the integration routine uses the functions to
> generate new values.  I'm not insisting on the computer hardware here - it
> applies equally to an abstract computation in Platonia.  It take the states
> to correspond to OMs.  But the states are not standing in isolation with no
> relation.  They are related by the integrator.  The integrator may be
> thought of as simulator of time.  If it is part of an OM then and OM
> includes rates and an arrow of time that, togther, point to the next OM.  If
> it is not part of the OM, then OMs alone are not sufficient to construct
> consciousness.  At least that's what I think part of the time ;-)

I'm not sure I understand. Are you referring to the fact that a real
computer does not instantaneously jump from one state to the other, but goes
through a process, i.e. a finite current flows when a "1" turns into a "0"?
These transitional states are ignored as an irrelevant hardware detail when
considering abstract machines.

Stathis Papaioannou