Mark Peaty wrote:
> No.  I don't know of any cosmogony that postulates a massive
> central point.  They generally assume zero mass-energy.
>
> Well, OK, put that into plain-English. I think that in doing so
> you have to explain why the e=m.c^2 mass-energy 'equivalence' is
> not a problem. You can 'assume zero mass-energy' to start with,
> but straight after that you did have mass and energy to spare.

No you don't.  In these calculations material mass-energy is cancelled by the
negative potential energy of gravity.  However, it is not clear that there is
any meaning to "the total energy" of the universe.  Even though the energy is
zero in local comoving coordintes and is zero when summed up assuming
asympotically flat spacetime, there is no invariant way to sum up total energy
for the universe we appear to have, c.f.  gr-qc/0607103, gr-qc/0701058

Brent Meeker