[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On May 8, 6:03 pm, "Stathis Papaioannou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, but the theory is our idea of that "partial match" and is a human
>> construct. As a human idea, the theory is something separate. But the
>> objective reality of nature (whatever it is) is not something separate to
>> the objective reality of nature. Maybe we are quibbling about words, but it
>> is in the spirit of Occam's Razor to have the minimum number of entities
>> possible.
>>
>> --
>> Stathis Papaioannou
>
> No!  The theory is not the *idea* of the partial match.  The theory
> (the parts which are correct) *is identical* to to the match.

But how do you know any part is correct.  Thermodynamics is a very good theory,
I use the thermodynamics of gases often and I get very good answers - but I
know it's not exact because it's neglecting the finite number of molecules
involved and approximating them as a continuum.  And in fact for hypersonic
flows I have to start taking the molecules into account.  And *really* I know
the molecules are made up of atoms and so there is dissocation at high
temperatures and I need to make corrections for that and...so on.

Brent Meeker

>The
> distinction between map and territory is dissolving.  Again, you need
> to keep your eye on the ball and think computer science and
> information here.  The theory *is information*.  The reality is
> *information*.  Therefore, *for the particular parts of the theory
> which are correct* , those parts of the theory (the abstracted
> information content) *are identical* to the reality.  Reality is
> information....theory is information...and at the intersection (where
> the two over-lap and at the right level of abstraction) it's
> *identical* information.
>
> Think of it another way.  OOP (Object Oriented Programming) draws no
> distinction between an objective 'object' and an abstracted 'class'.
> You can create abstract classes (which correspond to for instance
> abstract ideas) but these classes ARE THEMSELVES OBJECTS.  Think about
> it.

They are themselves objects only in the conceptual world of the program.

Brent Meeker