On Jun 5, 5:05 am, Brent Meeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> > However, what would be wrong with a super AI that just had large amounts
> > of pattern recognition and symbolic reasoning intelligence, but no
> > emotions at all?
>
> Taken strictly, I think this idea is incoherent.  Essential to intelligence
> is taking some things as more important than others.  That's the difference
> between data collecting and theorizing.  It is a fallacy to suppose that
> emotion can be divorced from reason - emotion is part of reason.  An
> interesting example comes from attempts at mathematical AI.  Theorem proving
> programs have been written and turned loose on axiom systems - but what
> results are a lot of theorems that mathematicians judge to be worthless and
> trivial.

Yeah.  That's the difference between *reflective intelligence* and
ordinary *symbolic logic*+*pattern recognition*.  I would say that
ordinary reason is a part of emotion.  (or reflective intelligence
encompasses the other two types).  But you're right, you can't divorce
conscious experience from reason.  It's from conscious experience that
value judgements come.

> > Finally, the majority of evil in the world is not done by psychopaths,
> > but by "normal" people who are aware that they are causing hurt, may
> > feel guilty about causing hurt, but do it anyway because there is a
> > competing interest that outweighs the negative emotions.
>
> Or they may feel proud of their actions because they have supported those
> close to them against competition from those distant from them.  To suppose
> that empathy and reflection can eliminate all competition for limited
> resources strikes me as pollyannish.
>
> Brent Meeker-

The human brain doesn't function as a fully reflective system.  Too
much is hard-wired and not accessible to conscious experience.  Our
brains simply don't function as a peroperly integrated system.  Full
reflection would enable the ability to reach into our underlying
preferences and change them.