[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> McIntyre, standing well back, surveyed the darkness with a quizzical
> curl to his lip. "You need only enter. All your magic, all your
> recollections of the green realm will depart. You will be no wiser
> than the next man you meet. And with your knowledge will go your
> boredom, your melancholy, your dissatisfaction."
>
> Fair contemplated the dark doorway. A single step would resolve his
> discomfort.
>
> He glanced at McIntyre; the two surveyed each other with sardonic
> amusement. They returned to the front of the building.

Marc,

Cool!  But why did you leave off the ending?

----------------------------------
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness," said
McIntyre. "Then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and
what a precious commodity is so much misery."

Fair made himself ready for departure. "I thank you for this new
wisdom, which a hundred more years in the green realm would not have
taught me. And now, for a time, at least, I go back to my crag in the
Andes."

McIntyre tilted his chair against the wall of the service station.
"And I, for a time, at least, will wait for the next passerby."

"Good-bye, then, Uncle Gerald."

"Good-bye, Howard."

Yes we have discomfort, but it's a good discomfort.  We don't have to
be depressed if we believe that the spiritual (eternal, timeless)
realm (which we can sense, Ecclesiastes 3:11 "God has put eternity in
our hearts") is real.  I think the good ending to the above story, the
"new wisdom", implies that we (i.e. humans) have one foot in each
realm (both of which are real), and that's a wonderful thing, for that
is what gives a contrast of perspectives with which we can see and do
wonders.

Tom