Le 14-janv.-08, à 17:20, Günther Greindl a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>>> Very interesting thesis Mirek. I have download it, and will certainly
>>> try to dig a bit more on it some week-ends.
>
> I second that.
>
>> For christmass, I asked my girlfrind to give me The Wisdom of
>> Insecurity, Computability: An Introduction to Recursive Function
>> Theory,
>> and Godel's Theorem: An Incomplete Guide to Its Use and Abuse, so
>> these
>> books might precede the Fabric :-)
>
> Good books all. If you like Watts book (and also if you don't ;-) I
> also
> recommend "The Tao is silent" by Raymond Smullyan (who you probably
> know
> from his logic stuff).

That's a very nice book indeed. And in the same vein (and price) there
is "5000 BC", quite interesting (and taoist) too.
Smullyan is dead, and I am not sure I will ever know if Raymond
Smullyan was aware of the computationalist links between his technical
books in self-reference logic, and his more "philosophical" writings.
One of his last books "Who Knows?" seems to me to witness he was not
really aware of those links, and not so much open to the comp hyp or
even Church's thesis, but who knows?

After all, in 5000 BC he said about Mechanism that a self-pessimist
could say "I am a machine? what a pity, I knew I was not much: bad news
for me", and a self-optimist could say "Me? A machine? this shows
machine can be as much as I am: good news for them".  ... Something
like that.

Talking about Smullyan's books, I recall that "Forever Undecided" is a
recreational (but ok ... not so easy, nor really recreational)
introduction to the modal logic G (the one Solovay showed to be a sound
and complete theory for the Godel-Lob (Gödel, Löb, or Goedel, Loeb)
provability/concistency logic. G is the key for the math in the TOE
approach I am developing. The logic G  is the entry for all
arithmetical "Plotinian Hypostases".
Search on Knight and/or Knaves in the archive for preceding discussion
about Smullyan's "Forever Undecided", and references.

I must say I love also very much his "How to Mock a Mocking Bird?",
which is a rather good introduction (imo) to the SK-combinators.