Russell,

Thanks for your answers.  I think my description and understanding of
the Doomsday argument was overly simplified, but there is a very
similar anthropic reasoning problem I heard before.  The situation is
something like this:

There are 5,000 females and 5 males that are created as part of some
experiment.  They are the only humans that exist at the time.  200
years later after all the humans in the study have died the alien
experimenter creates 5 females and 5,000 males.  Now if you are in
this experiment and find yourself to be male, you could reasonably
guess that you are part of the second batch of humans, since 99.9% of
males in the experiments belong to the second batch.

The original 5 males short of being given extra information will also
conclude they are part of the second group.  What would they conclude,
however, if they were told they are part of the first batch?
Personally I would conclude, "Well it had to be someone, there was
after all, an original group.  I just happen to be one of those few
rare ones."  ASSA looks for explanations elsewhere, such as concluding
that perhaps the aliens likely never go through with the second half
of the experiment in the future, or maybe the aliens mess up the
creation of the humans and create non-conscious zombie males.  The
danger I see in using SSAs to determine what animals can be conscious
is that inevitably there are human generated OMs, regardless of there
being ant OMs or not.  We may be extremely rare in the set of all OMs,
but I don't see the probability that my OM is experienced as some
value between 0 and 1, I see it as 1.  This I think is the root of the
difference in conclusions between you and I.

Regarding the mirror test, I see two problems with it.  The first is
that there is some bias to it, it is biased towards animals that are
visually orientated.  Dogs for example, do not pass.  However can a
dog recognize its own scent?  I believe they can, they can follow
their own tracks.  If Dogs ruled the world and subjected humans to a
self-smell test would humans be capable of passing?  Would it be valid
for the dogs to conclude humans weren't conscious because they
couldn't identify themselves by their scent?

My second objection is that I don't think self-awareness is a
necessary requirement for consciousness.  I equate awareness with
consciousness.  One could be aware of many things without being aware
of the self.  The phenomenon of "ego death"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_death
is a case when humans can lose the sense of self, yet they don't lose
consciousness in the process.  I think there is some process in the
brain that generates the sensation of the self being a distinct actor
within an environment but I think this is just a tool that evolution
developed.

My view on consciousness is similar to Chalmer's, in that perhaps all
informational processes might be conscious in some manner:
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/254?in=00:22:04&out=00:30:01
Chalmers also mentions the more conservative view that only certain
types of informational processes are conscious.  Perhaps some type of
self-reference is required, but I am not yet convinced.  I have Godel,
Escher, Bach on my reading queue and may change my opinion after
reading it, as my understanding of it is that it says consciousness is
the result of "strange loops".

Jason