Hi guys,

Well, Bruno may be interested to know that I've finally come around to
COMP.

I do now agree, everything emerges from mathematics.  Nevertheless,
the mathematical world does *appear* to seperate into three different
domains; *physical* (material), *teleological* (goal directed) and
*abstract math*, which *look* very different to each other.  My
misunderstanding was based on the fact that I couldn't (and still
don't fully) see how they could be the same.  But yes, I'm now
convinced of COMP.

The relationship is subtle, but I'm now think that the *Mathematical*
domain is primary (most general), the *Teleological* domain is less
general, and the *Physical* domain is least general.

So Math is the bedrock, which supercedes Teleology, which in turn
supercedes Physics.

---

As regards the Consciousness discussion, there are three things you
need to remember about it;

(1) It's not a thing, it's a process
(2) It's not just a *physical* process, it's also a *mathematical*
process
(3) It's not just what the process *does* (it's function), it's what
the process *signifies*

I think if you just bear in mind these 3 simple points about
consciousness, you won't go far wrong.

After about 6 years of ganashing my teeth and nearly going insane
thinking about these issues, I have now reached my own tentative (in
principle) answers on most of the big questions, to my own
satisfaction.

---

I don't think *any* of the current scientific or philosophical
persepctives on consciousness are quite right.

Consciousness *is* physical, but it's not *just* physical, it also
extends into the mathematical domain.  So I think that none of the
materialist or dualist positions are correct.  I was fooled by
*functionalism* for a while, but I don't think that's quite right
either.  See point (3) above - it's true that consciousness is a
process, just as the functionalists say. but it's not what the process
*does* (functionalism) that is identical to consciousness, but what
the process *signifies* - consciousness is a *logical representation*
of the meaning of a concept - it is a *language* for representing
concepts - this is NOT the same thing as functionalism.

Cheers all