On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 02:31:45PM -0000, Alastair Malcolm wrote:

> > No - by universe, I mean a classical branch of the multiverse. The
> > multiverse is, as you say, deterministic.
>
> I think I should just try to clarify here - the minimum specification idea
> as applied to a multiverse (what my term 'universe' was intended to include)
> would in some cases lead to apparent indeterminism at the level of
> branches - the mwi scenario. I don't see a problem there.

I use universe and history, or OM-sequence almost synonymously. Since
it was I who made the comment, it is what I meant. I think your method
can only work if the sequence of OMs observed by an observer is
describable as the outcome of some deterministic, or near
deterministic law. I just don't see that this follows from Occams
razor, which predicts that we live in a Multiverse.

Cheers