----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Standish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: Malcom/Standish white rabbit solution

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 02:31:45PM -0000, Alastair Malcolm wrote:
>> >
>> > No - by universe, I mean a classical branch of the multiverse. The
>> > multiverse is, as you say, deterministic.
>>
>> I think I should just try to clarify here - the minimum specification
>> idea
>> as applied to a multiverse (what my term 'universe' was intended to
>> include)
>> would in some cases lead to apparent indeterminism at the level of
>> branches - the mwi scenario. I don't see a problem there.
>>

> I use universe and history, or OM-sequence almost synonymously. Since
> it was I who made the comment, it is what I meant. I think your method
> can only work if the sequence of OMs observed by an observer is
> describable as the outcome of some deterministic, or near
> deterministic law.

Yes, but it's not a local law: the point is that the minimum specification
is whatever minimally specifies a normal OM (including what constitutes it
etc). The presumption is that this will be something like a TOE, which will
likely incorporate some compressed version of mwi, and so would lead to
apparent indeterministic qm at the physical universe branch level
(considered as OM sequences if you wish).

 I just don't see that this follows from Occams
> razor, which predicts that we live in a Multiverse.

If Occam's Razor does predict a multiverse, that would fit nicely.