>  But the gun would only fire if the atom did in fact decay. It would
>  not fire in the branches where no decay was detected.

I am not proposing that it is the firing of the gun that causes the
entropy increase that compensates for the atom not decaying. What
increases entropy is the initial setup of the all experimental
apparatus (gun + geiger counter) plus operation and maintenance. The
geiger counter needs energy to operate and the apparatus needs
maintenance over larger periods of time.