nichomachus wrote:

> On Apr 19, 4:26 pm, Brent Meeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> nichomachus wrote:

>>> How would it work? The point of the suicider experiement is that the
>>> suicider is able to prove to himself the reality of MWI by forcing
>>> himself to experience only an absurdly low probability set of events.
>>> Thus, he demonstrates to the few versions of himself who remain the
>>> existence of fluke branches, and by extension the truth of the MWI.
>>>
>>> Right, I agree that a universe in which entropy decreases
>>> monotonically would be unlikely since it would only happen in those
>>> exceedingly rare fluke branches.
>>>
>> If it were also expanding in spacetime it would be exactly like our universe.
>>

> I read recently that entropy is increasing, but a measure called
> entropy density is decreasing due to inflation. This is how it was
> supposed that a universe tending toward maximum entropy could avoid
> heat death, as the theoretical entropy max grows along with the
> universe.

Right.  That is how the universe could have started in a state of
maximum entropy (e.g. 1bit in a Planck volume) and evolved always
increasing entropy and yet be in a state far from equilibrium now.  It
doesn't exactly avoid "death" though.  That phrase was used to describe
a universe that came to equilibrium - all the same temperature - so that
there would be no free energy to support life.   But it now appears that
the universe will expand indefinitely and will suffer "cold death".  The
available free energy will still go to zero, not because the universe is
in equilibrium, but because its temperature approaches zero.

Brent Meeker