2008/8/15 Brent Meeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> But that assumes there can be a computation independent of any material
> realization - a computation that never has an error.  Real computations
> are realized by quantum mechanical devices.  Of course they may be so
> large and hot that they are to a very good approximation classical (the
> brain is according to Tegmark).  But I'm supposing that the complexity
> of conscious computation (and remember we are talking about simulating
> the environment, not just the brain) is so great that quantum effects
> are inevitable.

The model of the mind this implies is a digital computer with a random
component. But even if this random component is truly random rather
than pseudorandom, you could always emulate it with a branching
algorithm that explores every possible case. It might be
computationally very expensive, but given enough memory and enough
time it could be done.

Stathis Papaioannou