Hi,
I'm responding to Jesse at the moment... but to round out...every now
and then I give myself the luxury of kcicking the received view in the
butt ... to try and get it to wake up..... I'll go away shortly.... :-)

Deep blue doesn't know it's a chess program, doesn't know what chess is,
doesn't know its playing anything or anything else... it's just symbols
moving about in an abstracted  chunk of matter in a way that that only
makes sense in the eyes of a human supervisor. Charge hurtling about in
packets inside the chips.

Yes, there will be super-superdoopermega-computing of unbelievable
capability....(abtract symbol manipulation)....they will be capable of
prodigious computational feats... but will have the intelligence of a
doorstop forever when compared to humans in this one very special
behaviour - scientific behaviour - the achilles heel of all COMP
arguments....these superdooper COMPs will never be able to do science,
nor solve everyday problems the same way humans do. It is in this one
single behaviour I find great clarity and the logical weakness needed to
kill COMP off for good.

There will always be sub-standard behaviour until the FULL physics is
incorporated in the chips. When they can do science - then they'll be
like us.....At the moment more than 50% of the physics of cognition is
thrown away and NONE of that missing element is addressed by COMP models
of intellect except by unjustified assumption that COMP is true.
Fundamental physics is thrown away when the computer's substrate is
substituted for the real thing (see the Jesse email). Such COMP entities
can be predicted right now to NEVER be scientists. This is a testable
proposition based on real physics, not through the adoption of
meta-beliefs about the role of abstract computation in the universe.
Just because the universe appears to behave 'as-if' all is abstract
computation does not entail that it literally be so. That it continues
to be treated so is a serious error sustained by maths and physics  -
which is currently behaving religiously - mathematics rapture - where
the maths is explored instead of the natural world - where the
interpretations of the nuances of abstract mathematical appearances are
preferred over the real natural reality we inhabit. Physics is currently
trapped in a systematically religious mode of operation that would make
our 19th century forbears cringe in horror.

COMP is dead.

Bingsjord proclaimed it dead here: Bringsjord, S. (1999), 'The Zombie
Attack on the Computational Conception of Mind'. Philosophy and
Phenomenological Research LIX(1):pp. 41-69. To this and the No Free
Lunch Theorem I would like to add my arguments to the eulogy. I have 2
completely independent refutations, both different to Bringsjord's,  in
journal review as we speak.

*How many refutations will it take before it dies and everyone gets over
it?*

cheers,
colin (back to Jesse and the closer on COMP)